Monday, May 24, 2010

Review: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo



Title: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Source: Downloaded from Barnes & Noble
LendMe Status: Not Available

Synopsis from Barnes & Noble:
A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue.

It’s about the disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden . . . and about her octogenarian uncle, determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder.

It’s about Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist recently at the wrong end of a libel case, hired to get to the bottom of Harriet’s disappearance . . . and about Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old pierced and tattooed genius hacker possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age who assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, astonishing corruption in the highest echelons of Swedish industrialism, and an unexpected connection between themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part murder mystery, part Dan Brown-esque writing style, part techie, part history - this novel has a lot going on. I've meant to read this novel for so long, and I'm glad I finally got to it! 

It starts out sort of slowly, though and-  if I wasn't determined to read it because "everyone has read it, and I'm a librarian so I should read it too..." and many of the people I know that have read it warned me that it was slow to start, I may have abandoned it. But, after the first 50 pages or so, you wouldn't have been able to pry it from my hands!

I saw there is a  film base on the movie that was shown at the Wisconsin Film Festival a few weeks ago, and is now touring the country - but at the time, I hadn't read the novel and didn't have the opportunity to go.





No comments:

Post a Comment